Pages

Wednesday, August 12, 2015

I forgot.....

....to mention the Birmingham Festival of Quilts. 

Last Friday we took the train down to Birmingham to attend the Festival. 1000 quilts on display and 300 merchants. Apart from the Sisters Quilt show which is quite different because it is staged out doors this was the best quilt exhibition I have ever seen. The venue was superb. Lots of space and light. The winning quilts were all displayed in one area. 

This quilt by Janette Chilver was awarded best in show. I liked the patchwork, colour and quilting style. The quilting is very much in a Jady Marsden style. Free motion and ruler work.


We were excited to see a NZ quilt are by Donna Cumming and Carol Fearson on display. Hand stitched Cathedral Windows. 
This quilt by Kumiko Frydi won the miniature section. It is about 12 inches square. Called "tempest" it is foundation pieced,reverse appliquéd, free motion quilted, and machine embroidered on binding. 

So many people it was hard to take a picture without people. This quilt took out the Best Pictorial Quilt award. A seascape scene. Brilliant colours and about a zillion crystal. 

stunning!

So much to see and do. We went to visit Susan Clare AKA Gourmet Quilter(   http://www.gourmetquilter.com/ we were surprised to find a quilter from Taupo visiting her booth too! 
Another highlight was meeting up with Linda of 
http://linda-koshka2quilts.blogspot.co.ukgxz

A great day out 

Linda

10 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great day out! I have a couple of English quilty penfriends who love to travel to the Birmingham show - it is huge, I believe.
    That beautiful NZ made Catherdral Window quilt was in our Manawatu Symposium earlier this year. Such lovely subtle colours which shine in the light, just stunning.
    And what a surprise to bump into Susan Claire - or did you know she would have a stall there, and go on a mission to find her?
    Did you give in and buy a few quilty treasures at the show? Enjoy the rest of your trip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello
      Yes the show is huge. We didn't get all round but felt we had a good look.
      We thought Susan Clare would be there so when we saw her booth on the floor plan we hunted her down.

      No didn't really find any treasures. They get all the things we do only more expensive!
      We did buy a couple of patterns for Sweet Peas.

      Delete
  2. Gosh it's just wonderful, meeting up with others 1/2 way across the world! I've just had an email from the 'other Linda' (aka koshka2quilts)... sounds like it was a great show! Where to next I wonder?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it was. We're hoping to meet another quilting friend in York. There's a Kaffe Fasset exhibition on there

      Delete
  3. so glad you enjoyed our show I and one or 2 other friends though it was a bit smaller than last year but still amazing. The quilts were spectacular. I have my fingers crossed that you are coming up to York

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, we did enjoy it. Yes still on our agenda to come to York. It will be after the 7th of September if we do. Our family tells us York is a nightmare to drive into. Have you got any tips for us?

      Delete
  4. I thought you gave the show a miss. I'm so glad you had a good day. I was exhausted when I got home to Cardiff and spent up too. I managed to get everything on my list first thing on Thursday then spent another 4 hours just browsing and looking through the amazing quilts. Safe journey!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello
      No we got there. Loved it. Didn't see everything but enough to satisfy our quilting itch. I even got to play on the Innova quilting machine!

      Delete
  5. I am glad that you liked my quilt (best in show) but you are mistaken as to my style. My quilting design in this quilt is in fact based on the teachings of Lisa Calle "mastering the mini wholecloth" techniques using reference points in my quilt. I have not heard of Jady Marsden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello
      I actually meant to put Judy Marsden of Green Fairy Quilts. Do pop over and check her out. I love your quilting. Real knock out style! I was super impressed as you did it all free motion and rulers. That's my quilting style too! Your quilt was outstanding different to most in the show. Congratulations!

      Delete


I love hearing from you - write now!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...