Pages

Wednesday, March 04, 2015

Mini Break part two

Just across the road from where we stayed is the MTG We saw that they had a display of Whetu Tirikatene-Sullivan’s clothing. That was interesting but even more exciting for us was With Bold Needle and Thread 1920 - 1960 Vintage Needlework from the Rosemary McLeod Collection.Lots of aprons:
ApronstwoRibbet collage
From sacking cloth to posh afternoon tea versions.
Tray clothes and tea cosies (thought of you Cat when I saw this).
IMG_0690
Modern tea cosyIMG_0694_1
Linen bags for storing clothing to be washed.
Landry bagsIMG_0692_1
Topsy Turvy Dolls.My Aunty used to make these, they were very popular. Not sure they would be PC these days.
Topsey Turvey DollsIMG_0693_1
If you ever have a chance to view this exhibition don’t miss it. Sadly I only had my Iphone to take photos so I do apologise for the quality.
The main reason for our trip to Napier was to attend SoleMio’s concert at the Municipal Theatre.
Image result for napier municipal theatre
Another Art Deco restoration.Beautiful inside and out. The show was FAB-U-LOUS! We enjoyed every minute.





On our last morning we had breakfast at Mr D’s on Tennyson Street. We arrived there early and sat at a table towards the back of the cafe. Much of the kitchen was open to view. We were fascinated by the chef with her huge slab of bread dough on the bench.She turned dough into rolls with speed and a deft technique.
MrDs chef in actionIMG_0703_1
They make all their own breads and pastries on site. Breakfast and coffee delicious.
MrDsbeakfastRibbet collage
A good place to dine if you have anger management issues – you can take it all out grinding your own pepper corns in the mini mortar and pestle.
All in all a busy, interesting mini break.

   

6 comments:

  1. The needlework in the exhibit is wonderful. I love the gray tea cozy.

    Wow, that is a LOT of bread dough. Definitely fresh food in that restaurant.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw that needlework exhibit in Hamilton, some amazing hand work and skills shown. I think I need a mini break now, yours looked lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I laughed when I watched your SOL3 MIO clip...they are wonderful! (Mr D. has just come down to the sewing room to see who I'm laughing with!) Linda

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just love that sort of old homely textiles - what a great exhibition.
    I see that the exhibition is at Napier till the end of March but after doing a google or two could not find out where it is going to next. Does anyone know?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can see exactly why you thought of me . . . oh my gosh these photos are amazing

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like a great time away! I've heard nothing but praise for the Sole Mio concerts! Lucky you getting to see Rosemary McLeod's exhibition, too.

    ReplyDelete


I love hearing from you - write now!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...