Pages

Monday, April 08, 2013

If you saw this in an OpShop……

…..would you be tempted???

I think by the fabrics that this  is a genuine 1930s quilt.

1930s quilt

Why do I think so? Well the background fabric colour and “conversation” style.The fabrics in the blocks have the same 1930s look. Perhaps feed sack materials?

1930s quilt

The batting is thin cotton, not bonded in any way like modern batting.It is all hand quilted.The blocks are not perfectly pieced but still very charming.

 1930s quilt

 Two of the blocks are badly shredded. They could be copied and replaced.

 1930s quilt

What do you think? Am I right – and would you be tempted?

It is so soft and cuddly. I think it would be nice just folded and popped on the end of a bed, as is. I have seen soft toys made out of old quilts. Would that be an idea? Of course I would like to restore it! The binding is very worn in places but I think the whole quilt could be down sized a bit  and new binding made with the spare fabric.

DSCF0569

Please make a comment and share your thoughts with me.

8 comments:

  1. I think it is beautiful and yes, I would definitely be tempted!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I say go for it. Im all for rescuing old quilts and if anyone can make this shine again it's you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's beautiful, Linda, and I'd be so tempted that I'd likely buy it. Never see anything like this in Op Shops here. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, yes yes! Its charming! Yesterday i was gifted with four antique quilts that were found in a family members attic. Two are 30s feedsack and two date from the CW era, they are filthy and in rough shape, but i love them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, I would be tempted.

    I would definitely restore it rather than cut it up for toys.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, I would be tempted! I would either redo the worn out bits and keep it as a quilt, or repurpose it into pillows or something.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow what a find! I would have no idea what to do with this but maybe as you suggest resizing it for binding fabric could work well... it would be a shame to cut it up - at this stage :-)
    PS congratulations on your needle case win!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wouldn't hesitate for a second. The imperfections give it its charm and i would definatly keep it in its current condition and not try to fix it, but keep it safe from further deterioration, maybe hung on a wall out of the sun. What an absolute gem you have found x

    ReplyDelete


I love hearing from you - write now!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...