Pages

Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Comfort Food

Cheese Roll are the ultimate comfort food for South Islanders. In 2010 a competition was held to find the best recipe. I’m going to share that with you today. WARNING  Don’t look if you are supposed to be Weight Watching or lowering your Cholesterol. These rolls are not for you!

The support cast:

DSCF2480

Ooooops after I mixed everything together I realised I didn’t have the star in the picture!!! The cheese!

DSCF2486

Mix together in a microwaveable jug/bowl:

500 grams (1lb) mild grated cheese

1 pkt Maggi Onion soup mix

1 can 375ml (13 ozs)Carnation Evaporated  Milk

1 finely chopped onion

1 Teaspoon mustard powder

1/4 cup cream

Microwave for 6 mins on high, stir at 2 and 4 mins. Set aside to cool.This is what it will look like:

DSCF2487

Take 1 loaf thin sliced bread (I used Bakers delight – it made 21 rolls)While the filling is cooling spread out the bread – I like to line the counter with paper – no mess to clean up!

DSCF2482

When mix has cooled spread it thickly on the bread.

DSCF2489

 

Fold once

DSCF2491

Fold twice

DSCF2493

and you have a cheese roll.

If you are not using all the rolls right away you can freeze the excess.  I used the bag the bread came in to pack up the spare rolls.

DSCF2495

Turn on the grill.

Melt some butter – I know some isn’t very concise but it all depends on how many rolls you are going to grill. All I can say is don’t skimp the butter. I am grilling 6 rolls tonight and I melted this much butter:

DSCF2498

Shock horror!

Pop rolls rounded side up in a pan and brush with lashings of butter.

DSCF2500

Put under grill and watch carefully as they turn lovely crispy brown.

DSCF2502

 

Take out and turn over carefully, brush again with butter, put under grill again, brown, turn again and grill until the rolls are crispy and brown all over.

For a final decadent touch sprinkle with some flaky sea salt. Marlborough Flaky sea salt is just divine.

DSCF2509

DSCF2511

 

Yummylicious!!!

Let’s go eat!

4 comments:

  1. I've never heard of these before, but they look mighty tasty. I may have to throw caution to the wind (my scale, too) and try them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are fantastic to eat, SO not good for us though! Our school recently made over 2000 dozen for a fundraiser,they are very popular for stocking the freezer for an easy winter or lambing time lunch. Thanks for sharing your recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Linda,

    They look delicious.

    happy days.
    Bev.xoxo

    ReplyDelete


I love hearing from you - write now!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...