Pages

Thursday, February 16, 2012

Muesli anyone?

I have just finished making a batch of Muesli or is that Granola for American friends?

DSCF1914

I have been making this recipe for about 20 years. I never get tired of it – I could eat it for breakfast lunch and tea!

I know, I know you want the recipe don’t you?

Mix together in a large shallow microwavable dish

3 cups Rolled Oats

½   cup Shredded Coconut

½   cup Chopped or slivered nuts – I like Almonds

 ½  cup Sunflower seeds

 ½  cup Pumpkin seeds

½   teaspoon salt

In a microwavable dish or jug mix

¼  cup oil (I use olive)

½ cup honey

¼ cup brown sugar

1 teaspoon of vanilla

1 teaspoon of cinnamon

Pop this in the microwave and cook for 1 minute on high, stir and cook for another 30 seconds. Be careful this get really hot and bubbles up – best done in a jug.

Pour the oil,honey and brown sugar etc. mix over the dry ingredients and mix well.

Pop in Microwave and cook for 3 minutes on high.

Remove stir and pop back in for 3 more I minute blasts. Stir after each minute.

When it is cooked (it will smell cooked and yummy when it is ready) add

½  cup chopped apricots or any other dried fruit you fancy. In this batch we have Apricots and Golden Raisins.

As the muesli is cooling give it a stir now and then otherwise it will all stick together.

Tip: Don’t let anyone else do this part as there will be a few lumpy crunchy bits that need to be eaten right away – that’s a cooks perk!

When cool store in an air tight container.

Peggy likes to eat this crunchy on top of her yoghurt and fruit. I have mine with milk. The longer you leave it to soak the creamier it will be. If dairy product is a problem this is just as nice with fruit juice or water.

One day when I was making this a friend called. She asked me what I was doing as she could hear the tell tale sound of the microwave beeps. “Oh just making Muesli” I said.

She said said “WHAT!!! They sell that at the shops don’t they?”

Well yes they do but it only takes 10 minutes tops to make a batch, and I don’t know about you but I always think the shop stuff tastes stale.

Try it, bet you will love it!

Thanks for popping by.

 

2 comments:

  1. Thanks! I will definitely try this recipe: it looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds delicious .... can't wait to try it!!

    ReplyDelete


I love hearing from you - write now!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...