Pages

Sunday, January 22, 2012

Magic Four Patch Tutorial

Easy way to make two matching four patches.
Formula: Finished block size plus 1” e.g. for a 4” finished block start with 2 x 5” squares. (I make my pincushions with 5” squares but the could be made a bit bigger.)
DSCF1797

Right sides together sew squares together down each side.Cut the squares in half  in same direction as the stitching.
 DSCF1798
 Open and press seams towards dark fabric. Rotate squares so you have light to dark and seams matching.Sew down outer edges:
 DSCF1800

DSCF1803

DSCF1804
Cut in half again, open, press and you have 2 perfect four patches.
DSCF1806

DSCF1808
How easy peasy is that? I don’t claim to have thought this up, I wish I could give credit to the person who did.
I like this technique because:
  • I don’t have to cut out lots of little squares
  • It’s better than strip piecing because the squares stay more accurate.
Cheers

15 comments:

  1. I agree Linda, I love this technique - in fact it is one I have taught in my five inch squares class for over ten years - and I too wonder who came up with it. You can take it one stage further and make nine patch blocks the same way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I rarely make four-patches, but this is a great tip to remember. Thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely brilliant idea. I'm not great at these blocks but now I bet I can do them far more accurately!

    Thanks for sharing the technique.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing, Linda. I think I'm gonna make one pin cushion soon, based on your tutorial. Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a fantastic tip, I've never seen it before. Thanks so much for sharing, I must have a think about the comment above about 9 patches too! My brain can hardly cope with that right now....

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't know if she invented it, but I've seen Billie Lauder demonstrate this technique which I think is is one of her "Quick Tricks" books.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks! Pice of cake, thats so great, nice of you to share.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This does look like a great method - can't wait to try it. Over from Totally Tuts.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gracias por compartir ! I follow you and thanks for the tutorial.
    Best regards from Spain.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Excellent! Thanks for the tutorial, Linda.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Razzle Dazzle!

    I LOVE this technique! Thank you so much for sharing! I have been putting together a ton of 4 patch blocks and now I am going to use this method!!!! :)

    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is wonderful! Thank you! I make four patches every month for a guild swap so this idea will be used often by me! Thanks from southern California, U.S.A. I like your mug rug tutorial too, I've never seen them before.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great idea! Thanks so much for sharing this. I am now looking at my charm packs that I bought (because they were cute) and thinking about what I can do (quickly) with them.

    ReplyDelete


I love hearing from you - write now!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...