Pages

Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Nine go to Calico Christmas

Calico Christmas is the annual pre Christmas show of the Auckland Patchwork and Quilters Guild.
DSCF1538
In 2002 nine Taupo Quiltmakers hired a van and drove to Auckland to take in the show. To pass the time while we were travelling I took along some 9 patch blocks to stitch. While working on my blocks I was dreaming of an old fashioned scrappy quilt using my hand made blocks set on point. I decided I would make my quilt and show it at  Calico Christmas 2003.I completed the blocks by hand and continued the construction by machine. It took me nearly a year to complete. I spent a long time to seeking out just the right fabrics to use. I used a variety of fabrics for my setting triangles to add to the scrappy look. I wanted the strips between the rows to have a stripe that would run the length of the quilt. I searched and searched for just the right fabric. Fortunately I had a trip to Sydney and on a visit to Peg’s Pieces at Kirrawee I found it.
DSCF1542
Back home again I was on the hunt for the perfect border.Finally I found it, the background colour and the soft old roses were just right.
DSCF1541
Now to quilting. I decided on simple crosshatching through the 9 patches and setting triangles, hanging diamonds down the separating strips and a nice big cable for the border. I completed all the quilting on my domestic sewing machine.
DSCF1544
Just the binding to go – once again the hunt was on. I just couldn’t find the right thing. Suddenly I had a light bulb moment and decided to get the strip fabric out again. There in the remaining fabric I found the perfect little cross hatched strip.
All this attention paid off as Nine go to Calico Christmas won the Best Traditional Quilt Award.
Thanks for popping by

5 comments:

  1. Utterly gorgeous quilt Linda. I love hearing stories about quilts that were a real labour of love to get finished. My first quilt took 18 months because I was looking for the perfect border fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you coming this year? I'm going on the Friday

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a lovely quilt Linda, the detail is a credit to you and the binding - well, the perfect finishing touch. I went to Calico Christmas one year, it took us two days to drive up and two days back [from Petone] with many stops on the way!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful quilt - the win was well deserved!

    ReplyDelete


I love hearing from you - write now!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...